He combined his divinity studies with student assistantships in the Glasgow congregations of Pollokshields, Titwood, Govan Old and the Barony. In 1949 he was ordained and inducted to Baxter Park Church in Dundee and in 1954 moved to Stevenston High Kirk. It was during his ministry at the High Kirk when the church experienced a wonderful move of God through the "Tell Scotland" campaign. After nine years there, he was called to Crown Court in London.
While minister of Crown Court, Mr Scott established links between his church and Scottish parliamentarians, and introduced a service to mark the kirking of Scottish MPs and peers at the start of each new parliament. He was instrumental in establishing the ecumenical Westminster Christian Council, and was its first chairman. He alternated annually with the minister of St Columba's Pont Street as chaplain to the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland on the moderatorial visit each November to London. He was twice moderator of the Presbytery of England, in 1971 and 1979. He was president of the London Caledonian Society for 1983-4.
In 1985 he left London for Jerusalem where, for three years he was minister of St Andrew's Church, which looks across the Valley of Hinnom to the walls of the old city. There he and his wife were also joint directors of the visitors' hospice which is attached to St Andrew's Church. There he quickly established a Bible study group which consisted partly of American students at the Hebrew University and the Institute of Holyland Studies. He began weekly visits to the Church of Scotland's Tabeetha School in Jaffa, part of Tel Aviv.
When Dr Scott (as he had become through an honorary degree from the University of Glasgow) retired, he lived in St Andrews, where he was a very faithful and regular member of Hope Park Parish Church, and convener for a time of the St Andrews Council of Churches.
He was beloved husband to Lorraine, whom he married in 1949, and a loving father to his children Peter, Stephen and Elspeth, his grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Return To Stevenston High Kirk